Monday, November 12, 2007

Reading Adventures

So Christian has to read for twenty minutes every night for Homework. This was really fun for him for about the first month, but now that we are into November I have been having to fight him everyday to get him to read. He is not as excited about being able to read as he was a month ago especially when he could be playing with his Lego's or video games. So last week I decided that we need a change, I told him we were going on a reading adventure. So we got Ryan in the stroller and I told him to get his bike and I brought his book and we set off down the street. Well what I did was I stopped three times on our way to the park. I stopped at the corner where there is a patch of grass and I had him read for five minutes and then we stopped at a small wall and read for five minutes and then again on another patch of grass, so that once we got to the park he only needed to read for five more minutes and then he could play. Well he absolutely loved this and we did it twice last week. The second time I let him try and find some places to read. It was great because he stopped at our neighbors house who has a porch swing and he wanted to sit on it, so we did and my neighbor came out and I told her what we were doing and she just laughed and said he could use her swing anytime to read. Also it was fun because Ryan loves being outside, I get a chance to do a little walking and Christian is getting his homework done.

So yesterday he says "Jennie I can't wait for tomorrow because we get to go reading." I was so excited that it had worked and now he was excited to read again. I hope this will last for a while, but I know that if the weather gets colder I am going to have to come up with something else.

7 comments:

Tyler Jorgenson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler Jorgenson said...

Very clever. I can only imagine if you have to do that when he gets to math homework. I guess it would be long distance division.

Tanya said...

You are so creative and cute. I love it!

Rachel Garces said...

ok, so how impressed am i that you came up with such a creative way to make reading fun. I need to try that. Great job last night too. You totally nailed it.

Kalli Monroe said...

Great idea, I am so not cleaver! Great job at Enrichment Night:)

Jenna said...

Jennie, you are so awesome!! I'm continually impressed at what a wonderful mom you are! I'm going to try that idea someday! Keep writing your ideas...you can be my idea bank!!!

Jenna said...

Jennie, you are so awesome!! I'm continually impressed at what a wonderful mom you are! I'm going to try that idea someday! Keep writing your ideas...you can be my idea bank!!!